Blasts kill 57 decade after Iraq invasion

Blasts kill 57 decade after Iraq invasion

BAGHDAD: A wave of bombings tore through the Baghdad area yesterday, killing 57 people on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the US-led invasion and showing how unstable Iraq remains more than a year after the withdrawal of American troops.
The symbolism of yesterday’s attacks was strong, coming 10 years to the day that Washington launched the invasion with a “shock and awe” campaign of airstrikes on March 19, 2003.
Yesterday’s apparently coordinated attacks included car bombs and explosives stuck to the underside of vehicles. They targeted government security forces and mainly Shiite areas, small restaurants, day laborers and bus stops over a span of more than two hours. The violence started at around 8 a.m. when a bomb exploded outside a popular restaurant in Baghdad’s Mashtal neighborhood, killing four people.

Qaddafi’s cousin held in Egypt

CAIRO: Egyptian security forces arrested a close aide and a cousin of Libya’s former   dictator Muammar Qaddafi yesterday following an hours-long siege of his home in central Cairo, a security official and witnesses said.

Qaddafi’s former intelligence official Ahmed Ahmed Qaddaf Al-Dam, who is among dozens wanted for their role in Libya’s 2011 civil war, surrendered to Egyptian security forces, they said.

Police had surrounded his home in the Cairo neighborhood of Zamalek before dawn. Shots were fired during the siege, but witnesses gave conflicting reports as to whether Qaddaf Al-Dam opened fire in the air to drive police away or police had fired the shots as they tried to storm the building. There were no injuries reported. The official said that Qaddaf Al-Dam will be handed over to Interpol to be transferred to Libya.
Last year, Libya’s general prosecutor had requested that Egypt hand over 40 Libyans affiliated with Qaddafi’s regime suspected of committing offenses during the eight-month war.

Qaddafi's cousin - page 7

18, including 16 Saudis, arrested for espionage

18, including 16 Saudis, arrested for espionage

Saudi Arabia has arrested 16 Saudis, an Iranian and a Lebanese for espionage.
“The men were arrested in Makkah, Madinah, Riyadh and Eastern Province,” said Mansour Al-Turki, spokesman of the Interior Ministry.
The arrests took place after the ministry received information about spying by a number of Saudis and expatriates in the country for the benefit of a particular country.
“They were collecting information about vital sites and installations in the Kingdom and contacting with intelligence agencies of that country,” the spokesman said.
The suspected spies will be investigated and transferred to court for legal action, said the spokesman.

Syria’s opposition will not enter into dialogue with the regime of President Bashar Assad

Syria’s opposition will not enter into dialogue with the regime of President Bashar Assad

ISTANBUL: Syria’s opposition will not enter into dialogue with the regime of President Bashar Assad, the country’s newly elected opposition premier said yesterday in his inaugural speech.
“We confirm to the great Syrian people that there will be no dialogue with the Assad regime,” Ghassan Hitto said. Hitto was chosen early yesterday by a majority of the main opposition National Coalition members, after hours of closed-door consultations.
The 50-year-old will be tasked with setting up an interim government which would be based in opposition-held territory in Syria.
The election comes some two months after Coalition chief Ahmad Moaz Al-Khatib proposed talks with regime officials with conditions, including that some “160,000 detainees” be released.
Several Coalition members told AFP the election of an interim premier and the establishment of a government canceled out the possibility of talks with the regime.
“The regime ended that proposal (for talks), not the opposition. The idea behind the proposal was to relieve the Syrian people’s pain,” Coalition chief Khatib told AFP.
“The proposal for talks ended before we elected an interim prime minister,” he added.
In a speech laying out the new government’s priorities, Hitto called the regime “a gang” that “destroyed the country.”
“The main priority we have before us is to make use of all tools at our disposal to bring down the Assad regime,” said Hitto, while pledging to offer “all possible assistance” to residents living in areas free from army control.
“We promise that we will face the challenges together,” said Hitto, a former IT executive who spent years living in the United States.
“The aim of this government will not be based on political interests. We will choose its ministers and advisers based on their technical and professional capacity,” he added.

Iran ex-president’s daughter freed from jail

TEHRAN: The daughter of Iran’s former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani was released Tuesday after serving a six-month sentence on charges of propaganda against the regime, her lawyer told the ISNA news agency.
Lawyer Sohrab Soleimani said Faezeh Hashemi, who was arrested in late September and taken to Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, was released in the early hours of yesterday, ISNA reported.
Hashemi was among thousands arrested for taking part in protests that erupted after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was given a second term in a 2009 election amid claims by the opposition that the vote was rigged.
Tried on charges of making anti-regime propaganda, she was found guilty in 2011 but her sentence was implemented a year later.
Mehdi Hashemi, Faezeh’s brother, has also been targeted by judicial action on charges of undermining national security during the 2009 protests. His case is still ongoing.
Her father, Rafsanjani, is an influential cleric who served as president from 1989 to 1997 and who is seen as a moderate voice isolated by hard-liners in Iran’s regime.
Ahmadinejad, who beat Rafsanjani to grab the presidency in 2005, is to step down this year, having served his maximum two terms. Iran’s presidential election to choose his successor is to be held on June 14, 2013.

 

UAE jailed radicals formed ‘state within state’

ABU DHABI: Dozens of UAE radicals accused of plotting to seize power had formed a “state within the state” organization linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, a witness told court, according to press reports yesterday.
The witness, a security officer, told UAE’s security court on Monday that a “probe has discovered a secret organization linked to the international network of the Muslim Brotherhood” of Egypt, the Emaratalyoum daily quoted him as saying.
“On the surface, the organization worked to reform the society, but in secret, it was plotting to seize power.”
He said the organization began operations in the wake of the Arab Spring uprisings which hit several Arab nations, adding that a “structure resembling a state within the state” was formed by the accused.
The organization featured a consultative council of 30 members, in addition to an administration council and a six-member women council, the witness said.
The top security court reconvened yesterday and heard more testimonies in the case of 94 defendants, including 13 women, accused of plotting against the state in the largest trial in the history of the United Arab Emirates but which is not open for foreign media.
The court adjourned the hearing to next Tuesday, WAM state news agency said in a brief report on the trial, saying 73 male defendants and 12 women appeared in court.
Ten defendants are being tried in absentia, while women have been out on bail since the trial began on March 4.
The prosecutors say that the accused are linked to Al-Islah group, which has ties with the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood.
UAE Attorney General Salem Kobaish last month said the defendants would be tried for “having created and led a movement aimed at opposing the basic foundations on which the state’s political system is built and at seizing power.”
The group had formed a “secret organization” which was in contact with individuals and organizations “abroad,” including the Brotherhood, and had also created or invested in real estate firms to finance their organization, he said.
The UAE has not seen any of the widespread pro-reform protests which have swept other Arab countries, including fellow Gulf states Bahrain and Oman, but authorities have stepped up a crackdown on dissent and calls for democratic reform.

 

Moroccan security alert is unprecedented on the border with Algeria and Mauritania

Moroccan security alert is unprecedented on the border with Algeria and Mauritania

Moroccan security alert is unprecedented on the border with Algeria and Mauritania

Concerns in Rabat from the infiltration of fighters fled from Mali

Casablanca: Hassan convincingly
Morocco raised the degree of security alert on the borders with Algeria and Mauritania in anticipation of the leak ‘jihadi elements’ fled northern Mali after the intervention of French troops and African. These actions coincide, is unprecedented, with the Algerian authorities throwing a week before the arrest of cells hover around suspicions on providing assistance for fighters fleeing the war in Mali even sneak into Algerian territory.
Sources close access to Asharq Al-Awsat that the Moroccan security services have conducted investigations with a group affiliated with the mainstream «jihadist Salafist who were called and listen to them and then released without being charged, which was regarded as a step up.

According to the same sources, there is concern great fighters infiltrating militants fled from Mali to Morocco, and fears of moving «sleeper cells» to carry out terrorist attacks in Moroccan territory, especially after the appeal of the «Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb» in a statement the latter, which is the first statement issued by the organization since the start of the African military intervention and the French in Mali. The Moroccan authorities arrested since the beginning of this year on several networks to recruit fighters and sending them to Mali and Syria.

And traded Salafi jihadist circles in Morocco in recent days shows videos Moroccan recruits in Syria, Mali, carrying weapons or participate in the battles, and used by affiliates of the jihadist movement in the promotion and advertising of the Jihad in Mali and Syria.

In the opinion of some Moroccan sources that the threat posed by jihadists fleeing from Mali for Morocco weak compared with Algeria and Mauritania, on the grounds that Morocco has no common borders directly with Mali reverse it for Algeria and Mauritania. The sources ruled out being able to «jihadists» fleeing from Mali to penetrate the border Algerian and Mauritanian, known guarded by the army, before they reach the borders of Morocco, known turn in preparation and anticipation is unprecedented, adding that the coalition African – French, who is running the military campaign in Mali narrow down on militant groups there. The sources pointed out that the war in northern Mali not receive extensive media coverage contributes to provoke and incite supporters pay Jihadist Salafist movement and youth Naqm to volunteer to fight there, as is the case for Syria.

Abdullah believes ramie, Moroccan researcher at the Royal Institute for Strategic Studies and a specialist in Islamic groups, said that «the failure of al Qaeda to find a foothold in Morocco due smacks received by Moroccan security, and the siege of the arbitrator who was beaten on the jihadi elements.

The proposal: «This policy puts Morocco in a convenient location about the dangers posed by the repercussions of the war in Mali. And increased explaining that senior officials at the base of the Islamic Maghreb, led by Abdelmalek Droukdel, the leader of the organization itself, stated their inability to create channels linking and coordination and logistical support with elements Salafist jihadist in Morocco because of security surveillance continuing that prevented the success of any initiative to create a stretch regulatory told « Qaeda in Morocco, as it succeeded in confining the Jihadist Salafist movement within ungovernable and control. And increased effort, saying: «cases that came from Morocco to Mali individual cases, and in the framework of very small groups other than what we have seen in Mauritania and Algeria. They find it hard to return to Morocco, because of the security authorities to monitor them in addition to the lack of an incubator or organized networks and strong as in Algeria, where the top leadership of Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. The number of Moroccans among the leaders in the field in the coast are very few, as they prepare to tiptoe, compared with the Algerian and Mauritanian leaders.

Jordanian Royal Court: Article ‘The Atlantic’ on King contained fallacies

Oman: Mohamed Da’ma
A source familiar with the Jordanian Royal Court, that article (interview), to be published magazine «The Atlantic» U.S., and leaked some details about King Abdullah II, and cited some of the international media, Arab and local, yesterday, «contained many inaccuracies, was Directed things in their proper context.
The source added in a press statement, yesterday, said that «article contains analyzes reflected the view of the writer, and information attributed to King Abdullah II, is inaccurate and Secretary», pointing out that the meeting the Jordanian monarch with writer came in the context of display vision comprehensive reform. And keen not to waste opportunities to achieve concrete results to move forward in Jordan on the path of development and modernization, in order to respond to the aspirations of Jordanians to a better future where the values ​​of justice, tolerance and equality of opportunity, accountability and responsibility.

The source of pride King all Jordanians, and all state agencies and institutions, and honestly affiliation, and awareness of the challenges facing the nation at home and abroad.

The source that the descriptions used by its author in his article had been dropped in a manner contrary to the truth and reality, stressing faith King that durability and consistency of the internal front is the basis to move forward in the process of construction and development, pointing out that the King highly appreciates the role of elders and notables and young tribal homeland in cities and villages and Boade building camps in Jordan and to defend its gains and achievements.

With regard to what was stated in the report, written by Jeffrey Goldberg American journalist known about Jordanian relations with leaders of some sisterly and friendly countries, between the source that Jordanian relations with these countries are distinguished relations dominated respect and mutual trust, stressing keenness to develop them in all areas, through Permanent coordination with leaders and presidents, who had them all the respect and appreciation.

Yemeni President: abroad to resolve his command and will not accept a war or fighting in the country

Yemeni President: abroad to resolve his command and will not accept a war or fighting in the country

Sanaa: Arafat Mdabash
Led the members of the comprehensive national dialogue in Yemen, yesterday, was sworn in on the second day of the plenary session of the conference, participants chanted Yemenis behind the smallest member of the conference and collectively.
And began the national dialogue effectively in a plush hotel in the capital Sanaa, headed by President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, head of the National Dialogue Conference and prior to the first plenary, met Hadi and his UN envoy, Gamal bin Omar members of the Presidency of the conference was coordinated positions on preside over the meetings and management.

And raised at the first plenary words and positions of the parties and political movements participating in the conference, at which time escalated positions reject the participation of some of those accused of involvement in the killing of youth revolution during protests that toppled former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

The president said Hadi presided over the first plenary of the Conference of the dialogue that takes place in the light of the Gulf initiative and its Mechanism Executive that the meeting should know that there is no way, only the success of their conference only and there is no place for failing, in light of information on the withdrawal of many members of Congress, and attributed Hadi those withdrawals to «political reasons», and said that the conferees to get out by, rather than come to them from the outside, and added: It is important to «evoke in every moment we entered this room to get out of them by the Yemeni-made national flavor to our problems historical chronic and not more crises and problems, Whenever you were able to develop appropriate solutions and correct, you you will be so has yourselves solutions Staticm from abroad, which settled his decision international preventing conflict or war in this country, which makes us keen to deal seriously with this first conference of its kind in the history of Yemen contemporary preparation and preparation and configuration and methodology », adding that« We never – we Yemenis – that we prepare for a national conference comprehensive such scientific methods of preparation and evoke experiences near and far to take advantage of them, so the chances of success are available if ratified intentions and check sincerity, honesty and loyalty to the homeland ».

He warned the Yemeni president he described as «mutzlqa», he «Whatever may keen some to be Tzlqa the rest of his colleagues for bad intentions Vladrick that time will statement reality, this hall will mirror that will see people from which all parties concerned for what they are without makeup or decorative false, because the moment of truth has sounded the wheel and will go forward you or without you.

Sources confirmed Yemeni political informed that President Hadi and his crew and sponsors of the national dialogue and political settlement in Yemen directing intense pressure on the success of the process of dialogue, because «there have been many attempts and accelerated to disrupt the national dialogue and thwarted» and added sources told «Middle East» that «announced withdrawal and other attempts miserable aims to obstruct dialogue and sow dissension within the corridors of Congress, its committees and participants and posts inside », and that these forces« are seeking to block a political settlement existing in Yemen and thus will not subside and accept dialogue language and a means to reach political solutions easily », sources confirmed Yemeni «strong rhetoric used by President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi confirms beyond any doubt that powered territories and internationally to reach a political settlement to safety and take action as it deems appropriate to set aside any obstacles, according to those sources.

Cristiano Ronaldo donates $ 1.5 million euros for the Children of Gaza

Cristiano Ronaldo donates $ 1.5 million euros for the Children of Gaza

Cristiano Ronaldo showed his face the most humane to help the children of the Gaza Strip within a week of bombings difficult that left many dead.

Madeira again proved that the character, which some people think him on the pitch sometimes does not correspond with reality. Portuguese in the most charitable gesture during his career he decided to donate 1.5 million euros after selling the Golden Boot achieved in 2011.

WHDH is not the first time that Ronaldo donates to charity to Palestine, where he last season he sold sneakers and accessories to some institutions at auction and donate this money to the children of Gaza.